Tips for a Beginner Creating a Dating Sim?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any 1 creator or game.

Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not hither.

User avatar

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Posts: 1430
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:58 pm
Projects: Coming Out On Top
Location: United states of america
Contact:

Tips for a Beginner Creating a Dating Sim?

#1 Mail service past Obscura » Fri Mar 09, 2012 vii:07 pm

How-do-you-do! Very excited to exist a member of this forum! I was wondering if you had any tips for someone making their first game. I'll be using ren'py on my mac, and doing all the writing, coding, and art myself. I have a slight bit of programming knowledge, and I figure I'll be able to ask questions about issues every bit they come upwards.

Specific questions I accept for now:

1. Should the dating sim be written in first person or second person? For some reason I'chiliad non totally comfortable with the narrator maxim "I did this, I did that", simply that might be considering I grew up on Western text adventure games that tell y'all, "Yous are in a cave. It is dark. Yous are likely to be eaten by a grue, etc." Merely information technology seems about dating sims are written in start person. Do y'all have a preference and why? Would you find it preferable or too jarring to have a 2nd person perspective?

2. It seems intimidating to write out my unabridged plot and dialogue right into Ren Py code right abroad. Is there a preferred application people apply to write out their story? I would call back an outlining programing is the near useful, since it adds a level of organization to choices and dialogue copse, only I could be wrong. How do you recommend I write out my story?

Thanks for any advice. I appreciate it!


User avatar

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Posts: 4103
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:37 am
Completed: lots; run into website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames
Contact:

Re: Tips for a Beginner Creating a Dating Sim?

#two Post by papillon » Friday Mar 09, 2012 seven:nineteen pm

tips for a beginner - write a visual novel, not a dating sim, dating sims are complicated! :)

I tend to go into second-person manner when doing RPG-styled gameplay. I have an existing project (release stalled due to misfortune on the behalf of many squad members) in which the text is all 2d-person. Information technology works fine in this case, IMO, considering the style is much closer to an old choose-your-ain-risk... the text segments are quite brusk and the branching extremely heavy. Many visual novels are slower and more than introspective about the protagonist's memories and emotions, and in that case information technology could feel bad-mannered and heavy-handed to put the narration in second-person.

Basically, if your story is almost entirely focused on what the character is seeing and doing at this exact moment, and actor interaction is frequent, second person is fine. If the primary character has a history and a personality and is going to have long passages telling the reader most how the character feels, first person is more appropriate. IMO.


User avatar

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Posts: 1430
Joined: Friday Mar 09, 2012 half dozen:58 pm
Projects: Coming Out On Summit
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Tips for a Beginner Creating a Dating Sim?

#3 Post by Obscura » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:43 pm

Thanks very much for the input, papillon. I guess I actually am doing a visual novel (I had to expect up on the exact differences between the 2), and I guess what I have is a very "Choose Your Own Adventure" type thing, without all the stats and other bells and whistles of an actual dating sim. So, whew, I estimate? :0)


gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran
Posts: 2471
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Tips for a Beginner Creating a Dating Sim?

#4 Post by gekiganwing » Friday Mar 09, 2012 8:19 pm

Welcome to the forums, Obscura.

Want to stay organized? Some people use alphabetize cards in gild to plan out the structure of their story or game. There's a recent thread on the forums talking near Twine, a Windows/Mac program which can help you organize text files and link them together.

It'southward easy to get dislocated over terms that fans utilize. There's a glossary of fan terminology in this thread. Though to be honest, I don't retrieve you lot ever demand to use more than than a few of the terms in the long list. I use the following phrases:

"visual novel" for a story told through text and occasional pictures, which works on an electronic device
"__ simulation game" for complex games with simulation gameplay
"romance game" for any game/story featuring relationships between fictional characters
"__ harem game" for any game/story with more ii possible honey interests
"adult game" if there is explicit content

On this forum, we tend to talk about pairings with the signal of view grapheme followed by the romance interest(s). For case, if your chief character is a daughter, and she can grade a human relationship with one or more boys, and so the term would be GxB (girl x boy).


User avatar

kaleidofish
Veteran
Posts: 292
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:25 pm
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Consequence (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Aviary Jam 2014), Fairly Unsafe (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)
Projects: encounter my site!
Organization: Kaleidofish Studios, Team ANARKY
Tumblr: kaleidofish
Deviantart: kaleidofish
Location: Silent Hilladelphia
Contact:

Re: Tips for a Beginner Creating a Dating Sim?

#5 Post past kaleidofish » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:00 pm

I was going to advise Twine, but gekiganwing beat me to the punch. I haven't gotten a hazard to use it, though, but it's exactly the type of program that I've wanted for a long fourth dimension. Since I'm not using it withal, I use a combination of WordPad and Microsoft Paint for outlining my notes, and then I write everything correct into Ren'Py. I recollect of information technology similar writing a play.

There'south a really good beginner'south guide hither. It describes how to make an otome (GxB) game, just everything that the tutorial says can be practical to any other type of game.


User avatar

saguaro
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 560
Joined: Sun February 12, 2012 9:17 am
Completed: Locked-In, Sunrise, The Conscience
Organization: Lucky Special Games
crawling: saguarofoo
Location: The states
Contact:

Re: Tips for a Beginner Creating a Dating Sim?

#six Post by saguaro » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:25 pm

In the aforementioned vein as index cards... if you lot've got the wall space, consider post-information technology notes.

I unremarkably don't similar to write anything longhand only I've institute that'southward the best manner to do flowchart-type outlines.


User avatar

Obscura
Eileen-Course Veteran
Posts: 1430
Joined: Friday Mar 09, 2012 6:58 pm
Projects: Coming Out On Height
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Tips for a Beginner Creating a Dating Sim?

#7 Postal service by Obscura » Sat Mar ten, 2012 3:04 am

Thanks much everyone! This forum is and so supportive.

I'm trying a petty bit of everything right now, and am currently just writing directly into the plan because I found information technology a little easier than I anticipated (though the quotation marks really throw me off.) This may change if the plot gets more complicated, nonetheless.

This is so much fun making my first game. I've always been a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none type person (with only bare-to-acceptable amounts of bones programming, writing, and cartoon feel) and so I'chiliad really amazed near the opportunity to utilize these skills in a single project.

Incidentally I'g attempting a BxB choose your adventure type romance.


User avatar

ffs_jay
Regular
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon February 27, 2012 8:17 am
Completed: HellBounders - Act 0
Projects: HellBounders series
Location: Ireland/LA
Contact:

Re: Tips for a Beginner Creating a Dating Sim?

#eight Mail by ffs_jay » Mon Mar 19, 2012 viii:39 am

The most important matter for your get-go game, in my opinion - proceed it short, keep information technology elementary. Just become information technology done and out the door. Your first try won't exist a masterpiece, merely you lot'll acquire a massive amount of useful stuff to utilise in future and get a sense of taste of the process of actually finishing and releasing something. It'south much the same thought every bit more than full general game programmers recommending your showtime game exist lucifer-3 or tetris. Learning to finish (or better yet, finish to a deadline) is probably the most useful skill you tin have. I suck at information technology personally, but I'm getting better.


User avatar

Obscura
Eileen-Course Veteran
Posts: 1430
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:58 pm
Projects: Coming Out On Top
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Tips for a Beginner Creating a Dating Sim?

#9 Mail service by Obscura » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:53 pm

ffs_jay wrote:The most of import affair for your starting time game, in my opinion - go on it short, keep it unproblematic. Just go it done and out the door. Your first effort won't be a masterpiece, but you'll learn a massive amount of useful stuff to utilise in future and get a gustatory modality of the process of really finishing and releasing something. It's much the same idea equally more general game programmers recommending your commencement game be match-3 or tetris. Learning to end (or better yet, cease to a deadline) is probably the nearly useful skill you can have. I suck at it personally, but I'm getting better.

Thank yous for this invaluable tip! A deadline is a good idea, given that I'm going to endeavour and keep learning every bit I go and working on GIMP indefinitely if I don't requite myself a cut off date. I estimate 1 month for one relationship? It volition exist pretty brusque, merely longer if I accept the time. It's the artwork that is the near time consuming right now...artillery and legs are hard to describe for me! (Mayhap I could merely make them all tentacles, call this a tentacle sim, and call information technology a day.)

Coming Out On Superlative - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website


genesiswriter
Newbie
Posts: eight
Joined: Sabbatum Feb 11, 2012 1:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Tips for a Beginner Creating a Dating Sim?

#10 Post past genesiswriter » Midweek Apr eighteen, 2012 two:11 pm

I would also like to know.
I need to create a shortish-length dating sim for my maid buffet, and I've written a brusk VN before,
which didn't take much graphic symbol interaction. I take experience with crap-HTML choose-your-ain-run a risk games, and I'd similar very much to become started on this vn.
I simply want to get the coding down, I couldn't give a crap most storyline or graphic symbol designs right now, mostly I desire dating sim practice so I can make a longer i later.
I don't know how to even begin the process, the indicate organization, the interface design or anything. I've been trying to observe some sort of tutorial but I can't seem to come up across one. Tin y'all help me out?..


User avatar

SusanTheCat
Miko-Course Veteran
Posts: 952
Joined: Mon December thirteen, 2010 ix:30 am
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Contact:

Re: Tips for a Beginner Creating a Dating Sim?

#xi Post by SusanTheCat » Wed Apr xviii, 2012 2:fifteen pm

@genesiswriter: Are you planning one using some sort of framework, or are y'all coding this from scratch?

Ren'py has a Dating Simulation Engine: http://world wide web.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/Frameworks that tin handle some of the basic coding.

Susan

" It's non at all important to get it correct the first fourth dimension. Information technology'southward vitally important to become it right the concluding time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas


User avatar

Blane Doyle
Miko-Course Veteran
Posts: 809
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 ten:00 am
Organization: Fall Eclectic
Location: Mountains
Contact:

Re: Tips for a Beginner Creating a Dating Sim?

#12 Post by Blane Doyle » Wed April 18, 2012 viii:thirty pm

This was the start thing I could retrieve of to help you: http://www.otome-games.com/alphabetize.php/ma ... imitstart=

Information technology is for otome games, but it is written very well and I believe information technology would exist very simple or like shooting fish in a barrel for you to apply this every bit a reference point.

Unfortunately the guide ISN'T finished, but it's been helping me a scrap with my exercise games. If nothing else it is something overnice to have on hand.